In 1980, following a lengthy court battle, Louisiana-based entrepreneur, Joseph Costello III, was granted the very first private international commercial shortwave radio license by the FCC.
On February 18, 1982, WRNO Worldwide began its first broadcast.
Through truly divine events that began in 2001, Good News World Outreach was able to purchase the shortwave radio station for a fraction of its original asking price, due in large part to a fire that destroyed the stations transmitter while under contact to be sold to a Hollywood broadcaster.
September 2005, just two weeks away from resuming broadcasting, God miraculously spared the new transmitter from the flooding of Hurricane Katrina. But, the station’s antenna suffered significant damage.
August 1, 2008, WRNO Worldwide resumed transmissions, operating only 3 hours per day. The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association provided all of their recorded materials to WRNO for re-broadcast.
How To Listen To The Broadcast
Most radios sold outside of the United States of America are a combination of AM, FM, and Shortwave. WRNO Worldwide broadcasts over frequency 7505.0, smart application WRNO and online at wrnoradio.com.
As an international shortwave radio station, WRNO Worldwide’s mission is to reach 4 billion listeners through 1.6 billion shortwave radios located all over the world, with the gospel of Jesus Christ. With frequencies located at the “top of the dial,” WRNO Worldwide is positioned to transmit a full spectrum of Christian programming 24 hours per day, 7 days a week in multiple languages, especially to countries with restricted access to the gospel.
WRNO Worldwide’s 50,000-watt transmitter enables its signal to broadcast to three quarters of the world’s population.
WRNO Worldwide can be heard from West Africa to East Asia. The Middle East is in the heart of this area.
As an International, commercial station, WRNO Worldwide can broadcast the gospel of Jesus Christ accurately without being politically correct.
Select Shortwave Radio Statistics
|China||1,236,000,000||315,950,000||4.2 to 1|
|India||1,030,000,000||111,000,000||9.3 to 1|
|Denmark||5,400,000||10,000,000||1.1 to 2|
|Germany||80,000,000||150,000,000||1 to 1.9|
|Italy||56,000,000||43,350,000||1.3 to 1|
Why short wave radio is key to worldwide evangelism
- Four billion people live in restricted countries to the traditional missionary “face-to-face” approach.
- Most of theses people own a short wave radio as a survival tool.
- Short wave radio broadcasting is the most cost effective means of worldwide evangelism.
- People can hear the gospel in the privacy of their homes without endangering lives.
- Short wave radio broadcasting is the fastest way to accomplishing worldwide evangelism.
- Short wave radio broadcasting is the only method of counteracting world terrorism false religions and false ideologies.
- Most people in restricted areas rely on overseas communication because of distrust of local propaganda
- Short wave radio is an effective tool for discipleship and distant leadership training becomes of its continuous 24/7 availability.
- Unhindered penetration: The international law now forbids governments from jamming international broadcasting.
- Short Wave Radio enables us to finish the task of Global Saturation Evangelism in our generation.